About Me

My photo
Texas, United States
I'm a professional student, professor, wife, aunt, sister, sister-in-law and daughter. I'm also mom to the amazing Megan and joyful Rachel.

Our Precious Girls

Our Precious Girls
Photo by Rachel
Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive

Saturday, April 05, 2008

Saturday in Guangzhou

Mommy & a sleepy Megan at the Academy

Happy baby!

Completely tuckered out from playing with the stacking cups today!!

Okay...let's see...yesterday was pretty much a travel day. Our last day in Changsha, we did go to Hunan University to visit an Academy which some identify as the oldest institution of higher learning. It is 2100 years old...can you even imagine? It was pretty cool. They are a couple of really beautiful gardens there and we took some cute photos. Megan, as usual, was sleeping by the time we got to that part. I swear, our group thinks she sleeps too much...every time they see her, she's sleeping! She sleeps almost every time she's in the Bjorn. It doesn't usually take long either! Then she's awake in the room which prevents us from getting to nap when she naps (little stinker!!!)!

We arrived in Guangzhou about 7:30pm, which is way past Megan's bedtime. The new flight rules here mean no liquids, gels or anything in the carry on luggage. We were VERY short on time in the airport because it took longer to check in than the guide calculated (I think). Anyways, there was no time to get water for a bottle. We were able to get some inside the airport as we were running to our gate, but it was way hotter than we were comfortable giving her. So once we got on, we asked the attendant for cold water, and she didn't seem to understand. Or there wasn't enough cold water. So we tried blow on it, put in the open bottle under the air vent, etc. to cool it off. We were able to cool it off some and Megan didn't seem to mind that it was a bit hotter than usual. But, we couldn't take any baby food on the plane and she was really pretty hungry. It was a short flight (about an hour) so we were able to tide her over until we got to the Holiday Inn where we are staying. But it was probably 8:30pm before we could find the food and she got to eat. She was not crabby at all, though. She's such a good baby! She did fall asleep right away, though...and slept from 9pm to 3am without waking up (oh wait, she did have a bottle at 11pm). In fact, she did NOT move at all, she was simply exhausted.
Some firsts over yesterday and today....
  • She rolled from tummy to back Friday morning
  • As we were getting everything packed up, she turned from back to front (and about scared the crap out of us as we did not see her do it and she about rolled off the bed!).
  • First airplane ride, of course. She did pretty good, but was quite withdrawn and quiet. We wondered if she was concerned we were going to leave her with someone else. Maybe she was grieving. Of course we'll never know.
  • Grabbed my glasses for the first time.
  • She's using her tongue...sticking it put some, of course we've been showing what to do!
  • First french fry (She enjoyed sucking on that!)
  • First time she's reached out for things rather than simply staring at them (last night it was the tag I took off the luggage and put on the bed--she grabbed it and was examining and tossing it to and fro).
  • First time she really played with the stacking cups. I tried earlier, but she simply stared at them. I had tried putting one in each hand, but she had no idea what to do with them. But, today DH tried, he showed her how to bang them together, and she did it. In fact, she played for a good 30 minutes with those (that's a long time for a kid with no attention span!)
  • She plays a mimic game that started Friday morning. I was holding her as we were waiting for our group in the lobby, and she starting moving her head side to side. So, I copied her. She was a little puzzled at first, but the started doing it again to see if I'd copy her. She loved the game. She even played it with one of the teens in our group.
Okay, I have a fuss-button right now..the naps today were too short...she's hungry and tired...Daddy's not any good right now..she thinks she's had enough Daddy time and simply wants Mom...gotta go...

4 comments:

Drake Hawkins said...

Sounds like a great family day.

See you soon.

Drake

Anonymous said...

I love hearing you gush over Meagan, how happy she is, and I can hear how happy you are. We are so looking forward to seeing you all here, together! I'm continuing to pray for her (and your) transition...especially since you noticed withdrawal and quietness on the flight.
Love to you all!
Andrea (and Travis)

Anonymous said...

I think it is so awesome that you are getting to experience the "firsts" with her. It also sounds like she has quite the personality too! Can't wait to meet her!


Sheila

Anonymous said...

I can hardly wait each day to hear what Megan is doing and to see the pictures. She is so happy, and what hair ( no more mohawk :) She has changed alot and seems like she will adjust to her new life just fine. It is so great to hear all of the stuff that she is learning. Enjoy your last few days!!!! Can't wait to kiss on those cheeks.
Love ya,
-Jan

Words to Live By

James 1:12 - Anyone who meets a testing challenge head-on and manages to stick it out is mighty fortunate. For such persons loyally in love with God, the reward is life and more life. (MSG)