About Me

My photo
Texas, United States
I'm a professional student, professor, wife, aunt, sister, sister-in-law and daughter. I'm also mom to the amazing Megan and joyful Rachel.

Our Precious Girls

Our Precious Girls
Photo by Rachel
Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Leaving on an airplane

I am leaving in less than 2 days! I leave on Thursday about noon. I'm pretty much completely packed. I've been blessed to take a letter to Rachel from a friend who already is with her forever family. She also sent a letter to another friend who is probably still at the orphanage. I also get to deliver a cute tote, goodies and letters to Hope who's family will be bringing her home this summer. A lady contacted me to take a homemade quilt and pillowcases to the kids left behind as well, but I have not received them, so I'm not sure I will get to do that. We'll see. I have room in my suitcases, so if it doesn't come its no big deal.

In God's great goodness, I am getting Rachel on Easter Sunday. Its sort of overwhelming that Easter Sunday 7 years ago, we welcomed our precious Ian into our family. I'm quite certain I will be quite emotional--not just because we're finally getting Rachel, but because its overwhelming to realize how much Easter already means for our family. The Lord's resurrection, Ian's birth, and Rachel joining our family. Amazing. Truly amazing.

Surprisingly I do not feel anxious or stressed about leaving on Thursday. Maybe because I'm packed? I don't know. I do think though that if we were all going, I would be stressed. I'm very grateful I am not stressed, but I do get emotional thinking about being away from Megan (and Dad, of course!) for two weeks. That is not going to be easy. We will skype every day, but not to be able to hold her and snuggle with her will be so difficult for me.

Anyways...here's my schedule:

4/21 Leave DFW
4/22 Arrive in Beijing about 8pm
4/23 Rest (catch up on my class & get everything organized)
4/24 Get Rachel and I'm assuming we'll have to go shopping for clothes for her
4/25 Finalize the adoption
4/26 More paperwork (I don't know what this is...)
4/27 Sight-seeing
4/28 Sight-seeing
4/29 Leave Beijing and arrive in Guangzhou
4/30 Have Rachel's medical "examination" (which examines nothing)
5/1 Sight-seeing in Guangzhou
5/2 Follow up medical check, document preparation
5/3 Consulate "interview" & oath ceremony
5/4 Pick up visa
5/5 Head home!!!

We are flying through Seoul Korea this trip (haven't been there before!) and returning through LAX. I'm really not excited about adding an extra stop in LAX, but it will be fine. We'll get home about 11pm. That will be a killer...but at least we'll be able to head to bed as soon as we get home. I'm not sure how Rachel will feel about that since it will be a strange place, but I know I'll be glad to see Keith at the airport and hug Megan in the morning!

There are a few things not officially on the itinerary that we will do as well. There's a lady who lives in Beijing who's daughter is the same age as Rachel and also adopted from the same orphanage that we will probably try to visit. I'm sure I'll be looking forward to some adult interaction and Rachel will probably want to visit with someone her own age. We'll see if it works out. Also when we get to Guangzhou, we are having Ann take us shopping again. She helped us find awesome deals in Guangzhou and this time my list is longer and more specific. I'm excited to see her again, too.

We are staying at completely different hotels this trip. I am looking forward to the Beijing hotel, but the Guangzhou hotel does not excite me in the least. But, we are traveling during trade fair, which means that hotels are asking higher rates and many are full. So, we're stuck with the White Swan. There will probably be a lot of adoptive families there, but I just am not crazy about the hotel itself, but it'll be fine. While I will be alone on the Beijing part of the journey, we will be joining 3 other families from our agency in Guangzhou. So, it will be fun to meet some new people on that part of the journey.

Well, I think this is long enough! I'll post again once I get to Beijing! "See" you on the other side of the world!!!

1 comment:

Tracey said...

This is so exciting...I feel like I'm going with you...you are so blessed.

Words to Live By

James 1:12 - Anyone who meets a testing challenge head-on and manages to stick it out is mighty fortunate. For such persons loyally in love with God, the reward is life and more life. (MSG)