Rachel is taking a much needed nap. She told George (the guide) today that she was very tired. She said she was so excited and happy about last night's visit with Kirsty & LiLi (pronounced Lee-Lee) that she had a hard time sleeping. Funny thing, when I finally went to bed at nearly 11pm, she was sound asleep. I'm not sure what she means she had a hard time sleeping! But it was late when we went to bed. She just kept saying over and over how happy she was. In fact, she told George how she has such a good time last night. I never realized she would have so much fun, I am so glad that I made sure to go see them while in Beijing. God has an amazing way of making things so clear!
Some of the things that she will probably always remember about visiting with Kirsty is her "crazy neighbor boy". Louie is about 9 yrs old and (from what Kirsty described) a very strange bird. He is very smart, but very clumsy and odd. Rachel got such a kick out of watching him...one moment he had put some rocks in an empty doritos bag and was swinging it over his head like a slingshot. Then he put the empty doritos bag on his cat's head. Then he was following/chasing his cat up a short wall and onto air conditioning vents. Rachel was so enamored about Louie's silly behavior. In fact, today (Wed) we had to sit FOREVER in the notary's office as we were waiting for the final documents (it was nearly 2 hrs, I believe). The man from the orphanage was there (I thought he was the director, but today I learned that he helps the director and interacts with the kids quite I bit). She even had to tell HIM the story. It was TOO cute! Kirsty has a pug. Rachel LOVED that dog. She told Kirsty she was very excited about her 2 dogs, but she couldn't remember their names so I had to tell her again. And she told Mr. Wong (I think that's his name) all about the dog and the cat story, too.
Okay, one of the things I learned is that Rachel's orphanage only has kids that are in middle school. Once they hit middle school age, they are moved from #1 to #2. As I understand it, any children who age out stay at #2. Both the guide and Mr. Wong said they help these kids graduate from high school and go to university or learn skills to get a job or employ them at the orphanage taking care of other kids. Rachel has a picture of a girl who "graduated from the program" is how it was described to me. So, I guess that means she aged out. She's absolutely adorable as well. I did ask how we can help these kids. I asked if we could send things to them, etc. and the director said yes, and if we could help with the cost of sending to university, that would be very helpful for the kids as well as their futures. He said they have between 30-40 kids who have aged out at Rachel's orphanage. Helping these kids is something I plan on praying about and looking into how we can do that. I think it would be helpful for Rachel--as many are her friends--as well as to those who lost their chance to have a family.
Another thing that I found out through Kirsty's translation is that the orphanage ensures to provide the kids opportunities to experience different things. Rachel said she knew how to use a knife and fork. She learned because the orphanage had taken them to eat at Western restaurants. She said she wasn't very good, but she did know how to use them. She practiced the skill this morning at breakfast and she is pretty darn good! They also send the kids to foster families for short periods of time so they "know" about a mom & dad. I'm not sure how effective it is--or how positive--but it is an experience for them none-the-less. I think it clearly shows just how much they care about these kids. Rachel also told Kirsty, she does not like cats. In fact, she said she liked caterpillars more than cats! She truly is our daughter as neither Keith or I are fond cats. Megan, however, is incredibly intrigued by them and probably love to have one if given the opportunity.
As far as culture things, one thing I noticed both yesterday as well as today at lunch is that there is no such thing as a "non-smoking" restaurant. Seriously. Both yesterday were really bad and so was today at lunch. In each case, we were surrounded by people in their 20s who were literally chain smokers. Last night at supper, the lady next to us in about 20-30 minutes had 3 cigarettes. It was really bad and just aggravates my allergies so much. Its so cute b/c Rachel will make a sour looking face and wave her hand in front of her face as though saying "yuck. That really stinks." Too cute.
Rachel is absolutely adorable. Every one falls in love within minutes of meeting her. Today we had a "trainee" guide (if you will) come with us to the Civil Affairs office as well as the notary's office. He commented how her smile is just so infectious and she is just so lovely (his English seems MUCH better than our guide). I realize that not everyone who adopts an older child has as glorious of an experience as us, but I hope sharing our experience can help others see that adopting an older child can work out well. Just like with birthing a child or adopting a baby, you never know what you are going to get. But she is so worth taking the risk of the unknown. The benefits far outweigh the risks, at least in my opinion. And it is true that we may still be in a honeymoon period, but quite honestly, I think she is putting herself right out there. I know we will have bumps along the road (after all, she IS a teenager!), but overall, I think we're going to be just fine. God is so good. To think that I have prayed for Rachel nearly her entire life. I would never have guessed that she would have had the opportunity to know Christ before we even met her. I stand amazed at the awesomeness of God. I can't imagine how lacking our life would be without her in it--and to think we would not even know what we were missing! Amazing.
Well, I think I need to wake up Miss Sleepy Head. She's been asleep for more than 90 minutes. I think I might work on some of the pre-packing in prep for Friday. I think we'll be gone a good portion of Thursday seeing the Summer Palace. And Friday we'll have to leave fairly early to get her passport before heading to the airport for our noon flight. Please continue to pray our communication continue to improve. We do fairly well, she says she understands more than she can respond. I need help knowing how to help her learn English TO respond. And I need help knowing more Chinese! :-)
Wednesday, April 27, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Words to Live By
James 1:12 - Anyone who meets a testing challenge head-on and manages to stick it out is mighty fortunate. For such persons loyally in love with God, the reward is life and more life. (MSG)
2 comments:
It's been so much fun seeing all these pictures and your sweet Rachel...I can't wait to see how she reacts when she sees America.God Bless and safe travels.
Kris ... its so wonderful reading how beautiful and happy Rachel is and how excited she is to have found such a wonderful family. We are all so happy for you all. Love all the pictues. Enjoy everyday ... God Bless
Mary C
Post a Comment