About Me

My photo
Texas, United States
I'm a professional student, professor, wife, aunt, sister, sister-in-law and daughter. I'm also mom to the amazing Megan and joyful Rachel.

Our Precious Girls

Our Precious Girls
Photo by Rachel
Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

A typical night at our house

Someone wanted to know what a typical night looked like...while they are not the same every night, there are typical similarities. So, here's what last night looked like:

6:45pm asleep
7:30pm coughing fit (she lost her paci, but went right back to sleep)
8:00pm I don't remember, but I know she fussed, but went back to sleep on her own
9:30pm coughing again...needed me to shush for a few minutes
11:00pm fussing...needed me to shush for a few minutes
12:10am fussing in her sleep...but went back to sleep on her own
1:40-3am awake. Very, very awake. I started rocking around 2am as it was clear she was not going to back to sleep on her own.
3:07am I put her in bed, sleeping
3:20am woke up, but clearly tired. Standing in her bed. I started rocking.
3:25am fell back to sleep, I kept her in the rocker with me
4:10am decided it was time to wake up, despite hardly being able to keep her eyes open.

It doesn't seem to matter if she's asleep at 6:30 or as late at 7:15pm, she's still up sometime around 4am. This weekend when DH was on sleep duty, she was up around 320 each morning. Yes, 3:20 A-M. ugh.

So, as you can see...I get very little sleep. I've been awake since 1:40am and to say I'm tired is an understatement. DH went off to work despite both of us having pink eye (and he should've stayed home, but what do I know about pink eye?). I came down with it yesterday morning, and the doctor never called me back yesterday nor did the pharmacy. DH woke up with it this morning. I'll call the doctor again this morning.

Hopefully, I'll get a short nap when she goes down this afternoon. But, nap time usually is her only sleeping 40-60 minutes in her bed, but then she goes back to sleep in my arms in the rocker. She's been sleeping about 2 hrs in the afternoon and typically refuses morning naps. I might try one this morning though, around 530 or so depending on how crabby she is. The last several days it doesn't really matter what time I try it, she fights it and never does go to sleep. Today I was supposed to go into the office to see everyone, but called yesterday to say we weren't coming since I've got pink eye. So, we're just hanging around the house today...it could be a REALLY bad morning. Who knows, though. I guess she stays awake simply by not stopping...she's constantly moving. Constantly.

I called the sleep specialist yesterday...they said I should hear something from them by Friday. Apparently, they have a doctor look at the information the pediatrician submitted and go from there. I don't know. Anyways, I'm praying we hear soon and can get in within the next 2 weeks or so.

3 comments:

Deb said...

Pink eye is highly contagious from what I've heard. Hope you all get better soon.

Megan makes Isabel look like a dream. Although the last two nights have been torture. The only thing finally to get her to sleep (after 90 minutes) at 2:30 was a bottle but she had just eaten at 11:30. I told Dave it's just reinforcing bad behavior but there's only so much we can take.

Reading some older posts of mine I realized that Isabel slept better if she went down later. So we try keeping her up until 8:00. Which after a short night is a long day but it was helping, until she got sick.

I think she's got a tooth or 2 about to come through. And she's starting to have a lot of separation anxiety so I think all of that combined is making things extra tough right now.

Praying they call soon so you can all get some sleep.

Tracey said...

I am so sorry. I now know why sleep deprivation is used in prisons to break people. I hope the specialists have an answer for you! Prayers. God Bless!

Tracey said...

I am so sorry. I now know why sleep deprivation is used in prisons to break people. I hope the specialists have an answer for you! Prayers. God Bless!

Words to Live By

James 1:12 - Anyone who meets a testing challenge head-on and manages to stick it out is mighty fortunate. For such persons loyally in love with God, the reward is life and more life. (MSG)