About Me

My photo
Texas, United States
I'm a professional student, professor, wife, aunt, sister, sister-in-law and daughter. I'm also mom to the amazing Megan and joyful Rachel.

Our Precious Girls

Our Precious Girls
Photo by Rachel
Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive

Friday, February 20, 2009

sleep

is almost non-existent at our house right now. Well, I guess I should say that hasn't been good, although the last night was better. At any rate, I hit my peak of tolerance on Wed. Poor Megan has just not been getting enough rest, which means we're not getting enough rest (okay mostly me). When you combine those 2 things together--it's really not pretty any way you look at it. So, I called the doctor on Wed and saw her yesterday.

The great thing about the appointment was that she was stumped. I think she was impressed with how much we have been doing to make sleep a better experience for Megan (and us, of course!). There were things we were doing that she didn't even ask about--whether that meant that she hadn't thought of that or she hadn't gotten that far to ask if we'd tried it, I don't know--but she was definitely stumped. And we didn't even discuss how to get her to sleep past 4am. Of course the variable to we do not know is Megan's genetic history with sleep disorders. We also talked about getting her off formula, the bottle, her eating as well as this runny nose/cold/allergy thing Megan seems to have started on Wed. She was surprised how particular Megan is (like she won't drink out of the sippy cup with a yellow lid) and chuckled at some of her antics. Since she is not drinking enough formula (despite being offered it 3x a day), she wants us to just leave everything else as it is.

Ultimately, I feel like I've been given a shot in the arm...it was a great confirmation to see that the doctor was completely stumped. But most importantly, she gave us a referral to a pediatric sleep specialist. I'm anxious to get in and see him to see what answers/solutions he has for us. Honestly, I think he's going to tell us she has a disorder. Maybe not, but I think he will. The answer I don't know is what the treatment is for it and whether we have to just hang on until she outgrows it. (Lord help us if that's the answer!)

Consequently, although I am still VERY tired, I'm encouraged that we are on the road to an answer.

3 comments:

Deb said...

Well that's great. So glad that you have a referral for a sleep specialist. I never would have thought of that. Of course that's not what Izzy needs right now. I just need to learn her ways and get her sleeping.

One of those videos I was watching last night said something about sleep apnea and a cue for it is if she snores. Occasionally Izzy does so if we don't improve soon I might talk to the doc about that.

How odd that she doesn't drink out of a yellow lid.

Penny said...

How old was she when you went to get her? Have you spoken with other parents of international adoption? Will be interesting to see what the specialist says.

Anonymous said...

What does a typical night of sleep consist of for Megan these days?
Good Luck!

Words to Live By

James 1:12 - Anyone who meets a testing challenge head-on and manages to stick it out is mighty fortunate. For such persons loyally in love with God, the reward is life and more life. (MSG)