Wednesday, February 06, 2008
More Information
No, I haven't fallen off the place of the earth...but my head has been the clouds! Does that count? God is so good. A little about getting "the call".
I was carrying BOTH phones with me everywhere I went around the house. I wanted to make sure that I had them on hand when the call came. I was very peaceful all morning as I busily worked on grading papers and getting caught up with my students. At about 11:30am, I couldn't help but wonder if the package had arrived, and then my mind began to wander, so I quit working. As I was making lunch, the doorbell rang (and the dogs went crazy, they HATE it when they miss someone at the door and the doorbell rings!). I noticed there was no one there, so I figured it must have been the mail carrier. So I looked out, and sure enough a package. I was not expecting anything...so I was pleasantly surprised by a beautiful Angelbear Lovie (with Megan's name on it!) from my friend Melissa. I was so blessed by the timing of this precious lovie. I sat holding the precious angel watching my soap opera, waiting for time to pass and the call to come. About 2pm, I began to wonder where-oh-where is my call! I figured it was 3pm NY time...surely the package had arrived! Then at about 2:10pm, my cell phone started ringing. I was expecting Keith to call, but I realized it was a little early for him...looked at caller id...and it was Rachael our social worker! I immediately got a lump in my throat...she said "kris"...immediately the tears started! I couldn't even speak! I think I did squeak out...just a minute, let me get my note sheet. She told me the basic information--asked me what questions I had--and I still couldn't speak as the tears just flowed! Hung up with her...immediately called Keith. I was able to remain somewhat composed to tell him the info. He acted so calm and cool...wrote it all down then immediately went to tell some of the ladies he works with (he works with almost all ladies, bless him!). He was supposed to be leaving work at 2:30, and Rachael had said it was going to probably be an hour before we get the photos. So I was glad I didn't have the temptation sitting there waiting for me! While I was waiting for Keith I called all the usual suspects: Nana, Grandpa, Auntie, and a couple of friends. Then I waited. The phone kept ringing as each of them called me back for more information...and I waited for the photos and for Keith to get home.
Finally, at 3:10 or so, I called Keith to see how close he was to home...we were nearing our hour since the call and I figured the photos could arrive at any moment. And what does he tell me? He is JUST LEAVING THE OFFICE???? I said: What? Get your butt home! We could be getting those photos any minute now! You better speed home! At about 4:30, still no pictures, so I called Rachael...she wasn't in the office! WHAT?! Finally at a few minutes after 5pm, the photos showed up and she called to tell us that she had a meeting at the corporate office and had gotten stuck in traffic on the way back to the office.
While it was so hard to wait until almost 5pm to see her precious face, I'm so glad Keith made it home and we were able to see them together. Our hearts were overflowing with love and joy at this precious girl that the Lord has given us to raise! She is certainly more than we expected. And I couldn't help but think of something Hannah said about Samuel recorded I Samuel 1. We have a figurine in Megan's room that has a paraphrased version on it: "I prayed for this child and the Lord answered my prayer and gave her to me. Now I dedicate her to the Lord. She will belong to the Lord all her life. " Boy does that say it all for us!
Some basic information we know about our precious Megan: she likes music, she laughs, she can locate the direction of a voice, she's fond of playing with toys, she is impatient sometimes, she's active and restless. She is close to a caretaker (who's name is written in Chinese on the documents). Her weight of 12.5lbs was taken in November when she was 6 months old. She really is a tiny baby girl. And one of the youngest in our travel group...and certainly the smallest of the ones I've seen thus far. We are blessed beyond words! Thank you for following our journey, which has now taken the turn we've been waiting for: raising a precious darling from China!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Words to Live By
James 1:12 - Anyone who meets a testing challenge head-on and manages to stick it out is mighty fortunate. For such persons loyally in love with God, the reward is life and more life. (MSG)

5 comments:
Oh Kris, tears came to my eyes when I saw her sweet face. She is a doll! I am just thrilled for you!! Praise God for His humongous blessings!
Congratulations. your recount of "the call" brought me to tears and made me think of our call in 2006. It is one of those special moments in your life that you will undoubtedly never forget. When do you go over there to get her?
Happy Chinese New Year!!! She is just gorgeous
Oh Kris, when I read of your day of waiting my heart was pounding! She is so beautiful I can totally see how you fell in love with her the second you saw her. I can't wait to know when you will be going to get her, but more important, when you will come back!!! Much love to the three of you!
Kay
Wow! I'm close to tears reading this. Your excitement and anticipation that afternoon....
I'm looking forward to seeing you in China picking her up.
Post a Comment