Megan has started putting everything up to her ear like a phone. She doesn't say anything, but she tilts her head like she's talking on it, then hands it to me to talk on it too. If she can grab my cell phone, she loves to use that. But one day it was her rings (of course), another day it was the magnets to the LeapFrog Farm Animal toy on the frig. And in this photo, it's a calculator. She wouldn't, of course, hold it there long enough for me to snap the actual photo, but you get the idea.
She loves to watching "her movie" (aka Signing Time). I think it's her favorite part of the day when in the morning after bath she gets to watch her movie while I get ready. I thought Vol. 2 was a little advanced for her (at least conceptually) with signs like "share", "your turn", "my turn", "clean", "dirty", but she has learned so many of the signs already. I started a list so I can ask her to sign different things when she's wiggly on the changing table (it makes her straighten right up and anxiously await what sign I'm going to ask her next!). She can sign over 30 signs. That's a LOT of signs! She knows when the movie is about done, and that we then have milk and take a nap. It's part of the routine, I guess. I've considered making Vol. 1 part of the lunchtime/afternoon nap routine. She goes to sleep so much easier when she knows what comes next. I feel like I kind of "spring" afternoon nap on her. I mean she has lunch, then plays a little, then we have milk and take a nap. But, she has such a hard time winding down between playing, milk and sleeping. I tried the movie one day and it seemed to work really well, then (honestly) I've been lazy since then. I have to decide if I want to give it to her in our room (like the 1st one) or the living room (where's there are lots of toys & distractions). Then it impacts my ability to eat lunch, besides it's 30 minutes. But, I need to just buck it up and pay attention to time so she can try it. And I think in our room is the best. I can shut the door so she's stuck in there with me...and she can crawl around our room, but mostly just pay attention to the movie. I think I'll do it again today and see what happens.
Megan continues to work on her walking abilities...and is improving every day! I'm so anxious for her to chose walking over crawling.
NanaLin noted that almost every picture Megan has her rings either in her hands or somewhere near. I guess I'm so used to seeing them with her all the time, I hadn't really noticed. But when I look back at her walking video, she has them in her hands. How funny.
Dissertation update: with DH in the hospital and recovering all these days, my plans went a rye for a few weeks. But, I'm back at it. After talking to my chairperson, I've moved to actually doing some research while she's napping (and/or when Grandma V comes to play). Some asked about my topic...so here is it (in a nutshell)...I'm looking at students who participated in community service while attending their institution (college or university) and if they were satisfied with their education at that institution. Additionally, I'm looking at whether if they could start over, they would return to that institution. I may look at historical data..I may look at one lone institution...I may look at national data...but it's all based on an annual survey conducted at many institutions. I'm not sure on that part. I may throw in some demographic data, I'm not sure. At this point, I'm simply looking for other research out there--and coming up with my justification on whether this is "study worthy" or not. So far, I'm finding reason to research it simply because there seems to be nothing that looks at these 2 things together. There's the update.
I think that's enough for now...back to grading papers.
Tuesday, October 07, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Words to Live By
James 1:12 - Anyone who meets a testing challenge head-on and manages to stick it out is mighty fortunate. For such persons loyally in love with God, the reward is life and more life. (MSG)
1 comment:
I love it when babies sign! It's so cute. I am so amazed that Megan can sign so many different words! That so awesome!
Post a Comment