About Me

My photo
Texas, United States
I'm a professional student, professor, wife, aunt, sister, sister-in-law and daughter. I'm also mom to the amazing Megan and joyful Rachel.

Our Precious Girls

Our Precious Girls
Photo by Rachel
Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive

Monday, September 05, 2011

Rachel's First Day of School

Here is Rachel on her first day of American school. I had her dress in a little warmer clothes because she tends to always be cold and I was afraid she'd have enough distraction that I didn't want her to be cold, too. She came home telling me that her arms were hot, but her legs were cold. I'm not exactly sure how that works, but that's what she said. She's been wearing jeans but with short sleeved shirts. Overall, school is going well. The teachers have been fantastic. I've met with most of her teachers and all have worked with her (and me) to help us with her assignments and know what's going on. She doesn't know enough English to write down what the teachers say, but she will copy the assignments that the teachers write on the board. We spend anywhere from 2-3 hours a night on homework (UGH!), but we're managing. I'm hoping to meet with the ESL teacher this week to get some idea on what kind of modifications are supposed to be completed for her since she does not understand what she reads. Overall, though school is going well. We do have major hurdles let to overcome, however. And she's figuring out how to use the handheld translator in class with her assignments/tests. We're all navigating new territory and the learning curve is HUGE!

No comments:

Words to Live By

James 1:12 - Anyone who meets a testing challenge head-on and manages to stick it out is mighty fortunate. For such persons loyally in love with God, the reward is life and more life. (MSG)