Oh boy, again, I am horribly behind on postings. We have been so busy. There were a couple of weeks in the past few that we had one or more appointment a day. Most were doctor/dentist appointments. We have Rachel going to youth group on Wednesday night (which means I go as well). We try to squeeze in a few water play dates with some of Megan's friends in there, too. We've been spending a lot of time working with Rachel on school work. We primarily work on English and math. You would not believe that she's only been home for 2 months when you realize how much she understands. Seriously. Everyone comments on it. She has a much more difficult time speaking English, but she understands a lot. When there are words she is trying to say, she often will spell it...yes, she can spell A LOT of basic English words. She really is SO SMART (2 smart girls...this could mean double trouble for us!!!!). We've worked really hard on pronunciation as well and many words she says are really clear. We had to have a "discussion" earlier this week about working on school-work. She really did not want to, and hasn't really wanted to much lately. But when she was reminded that she'll have 7 different subjects plus working on ESL and how many math topics she's not covered yet, she decided she was ready to work hard again. So, she's done really well this week. I've found some ESL games to help us that she likes. She does pretty good, but we've got a long way to go (of course).
Megan is in school 2 mornings a week during July. So we'll have a few more hours a week to seriously focus somewhat uninterruptedly. Hopefully we can make great progress in both ESL and math. That doesn't count the history and US geography things we need to learn (states & capitals, for example) to simply catch up. I know we cannot do it all...and it will just take time, but I want to be able to give her as much as I can before she is completely overwhelmed by just how much she does NOT know (that her classmates do).
The month went by so quickly...I swear I blinked and now its July. We're taking family pictures tomorrow...hopefully I can get some posted tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Words to Live By
James 1:12 - Anyone who meets a testing challenge head-on and manages to stick it out is mighty fortunate. For such persons loyally in love with God, the reward is life and more life. (MSG)
1 comment:
It's amazing how quickly they pick it up...and once she is around a bunch of other girls in school and HAS to learn it...she will! I've seen kids come in on day one without a word of English and by the end of the year you wouldn't even know it! Totally fluent!
Post a Comment