About Me

My photo
Texas, United States
I'm a professional student, professor, wife, aunt, sister, sister-in-law and daughter. I'm also mom to the amazing Megan and joyful Rachel.

Our Precious Girls

Our Precious Girls
Photo by Rachel
Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive

Sunday, January 25, 2009

To catch up...




...well, not really catch up, I guess, but update. We have been sick around here. I'm still fighting my bronchitis stuff (on my 2nd med and still coughing like crazy), DH is experiencing allergy stuff and poor Megan has some sort of upper respiratory yuck. She started meds on Friday and we seem to see an improvement already. She has not been sleeping well (when can when you can't breath and feel yucky?). I spent the entire week sleeping on the floor in her room. It was easier to be there to "ssshhh" than having to jump out of bed and run across the hall to do it. And when she's fussing literally (at times) every few minutes, I would have just laid down and have to be back up again. Needless to say everyone is sleep deprived around here. It's been a tough week.

Let see...a few things noteworthy of late:
  • Megan weighs 25 lbs 5 oz. They didn't measure her height, but I know she has grown. She has already grown out of some of the clothes we got her for Christmas and is entering into size 18 months.
  • She is coloring now. We've tried numerous times, but she just had no interest what-so-ever. But lately, she's really enjoying it. Today she liked to take all the colors out of the box, organize them on the paper, then put them all back in the box. Then promptly take them back out. Whatever makes her happy! She is attracted to the red, fuschia and purple colors. In fact one day a few weeks ago, I gave her a few colors to chose from (blue, purple, pink and red, maybe--I don't remember exactly), she grabbed the blue one and threw it--literally threw it. Well, she wasn't interested in the blue one! It was quite funny.
  • She is using a fork some, if we help her stab the food on it. She's tried a spoon, but she insists on turning it before getting it to her mouth, so keeping the food on it--and getting it off in her mouth when it's turned is tough.
  • She's also eating off a plate. I know that sounds basic, but when I had tried in the past, she would grab the plate and throw it. I hadn't tried for a long time, and decided I should again. She's doing fairly well with it. I can't say that we haven't attempted to throw it, but it hasn't happened too often.
  • She's decided she's "too old" for the Nuby sippy cups. I'm not sure when it started, but she would refuse to drink and I couldn't figure out how to get to. So, I decided I'd try the hard topped ones (like the playtex or gerber ones) to see if she'd drink out of them. BINGO! Yep, loves them. Really I think her favorite are the disposable ones, but they leak REALLY bad. I'll let her drink out of them at the table, but not anywhere else.
  • She's decided water isn't cool. I've always kept water in a cup in the LR so she could get a drink anytime she wanted. If it dripped or whatever, I really didn't care since it was just water. But now she won't drink it unless there is some juice in there. I hope this passes quickly! I don't give her much juice, but just enough--I guess--to give it some flavor.
  • She's starting to pick out her hair clips. Last week I thought I'd give her a choice to pick out which hair clip she wanted to wear (she had a choice of 2). When she picked it, it appeared that she doesn't pull it out! And I've been combing her hair with her sitting on the bathroom vanity so she can see. It sure helps her keep her head still! We started using a kid-friendly detangler on the back and it sure has helped keep it from snarling and looking all frizzy after nap. It does, however, kind of make her curls so flat in the back .
We've just marked Megan being 20 months old (I can't believe we almost have a 2 year old!). And we are coming up on marking 10 months home! How time flies!!!!

2 comments:

Deb said...

Hope you all start feeling better soon. Glad that the meds are helping Megan.

She's really growing.
I've wondered when I should introduce coloring to Isabel but right now all she would do is eat the crayon! Interesting how much she dislikes the blue.
Have you tried one of those bowls or plates that suction to the tray. My sis-in-law used those.

I already try to have Isabel pick between two. She puts her hand on one that I offer and that's the one. She doesn't understand it but I hope it starts teaching her early to make choices. Glad it’s helped her keep the clips in better. I never thought to do Isabel’s hair in front of the mirror. That might help. Right now I’ve been using Elmo to help her sit but I really should stop that. I’ve heard that satin pillow cases help lessen the tangled hair. I use the Target brand detangler and it works really well and her curls pop back up after about 20 minutes or so.

Penny said...

It is so exciting to read about your "mommy" adventures. She is a beautiful girl. What a blessing!

Words to Live By

James 1:12 - Anyone who meets a testing challenge head-on and manages to stick it out is mighty fortunate. For such persons loyally in love with God, the reward is life and more life. (MSG)