About Me

My photo
Texas, United States
I'm a professional student, professor, wife, aunt, sister, sister-in-law and daughter. I'm also mom to the amazing Megan and joyful Rachel.

Our Precious Girls

Our Precious Girls
Photo by Rachel
Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive

Friday, August 29, 2008

Could it be?


As I've posted here SO MANY TIMES, Megan has had sleep issues. She has never slept longer than 3 consecutive hours...oh, wait, I think she did when we were in China she would nap in the Bjorn that long and when we were on the flight home she slept quite a long time. Anyways, that was true until the last two nights. I'm NOT kidding! Wednesday night she slept from about 7pm to 11pm...needed a little comfort/confirmation that mom was still there, but went back to sleep. I would hear her whimper a few times at various points, but slept until about 4:30am. I left her in her bed as she simply talked and rolled around, but a little before 5am, she started to cry. So, I went in and got her. I sat in the rocking chair with her for a little bit, but it was pretty clear that she was awake for the day. Yeah, Megan! Oh, but was it a fluke?

Well, last night she went to sleep before 7pm, cried out a bit at 10pm, needed her paci at about 11pm, but then I pretty much heard NOTHING from her the rest of the night! But, she was awake at 4am and wouldn't go back to sleep. Two nights in a row, fluke? PLEASE tell me we're past the horrible nights...or at least where they are infrequent. PLEASE!

So, what have we done differently? Well, the only things I can think of are: 1. we were consistent about beginning to rock her sleep right around 6:30pm and 2. she's eaten a big and "late" supper both nights. Since she's decided to fully feed herself, she's been having meat. I mean we've given her meat in the past, but most of the time we'd have to go on a "fishing" expedition 30-45 minutes after eating because it was still in her mouth (those cheeks are good for something!). Well, she's been handling it fine now. She loves roast beef lunch meat (she is her daddy's girl!). She also loves green beans, but not so fond of carrots (when it used to be her favorite baby food). So between having a "heavy" supper and going to be early, something is working! I think another experience had an impact as well, but more on that later.

I feel almost human...after a fairly good night's rest two nights in a row...oh my, I could used to this VERY quickly! Now, if we can get bedtime moved to about 7:30 so we can sleep until 5:30ish, things would be good!

3 comments:

Deb said...

Yahoo!!! That's wonderful. What's up with our girls actually sleeping? Praying it's not a fluke.
Sounds like she likes to be independent if she is eating more stuff on her own.

I will tell you that the book I'm reading says that if you move bedtime it won't make her sleep longer. But I don't 100% agree with the book all the time.
Isabel does the same thing, wakes early but after 30 minutes she's back to sleep, this morning till 7:30.

A good nights rest is a wonderful thing!

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! That's great! I sure hope she continues on with a better sleeping pattern.

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS ON SLOWLY GETTNG THE SLEEPING THING GOING!!!

Glad you like the card!

Your Secret Blog Pal

Words to Live By

James 1:12 - Anyone who meets a testing challenge head-on and manages to stick it out is mighty fortunate. For such persons loyally in love with God, the reward is life and more life. (MSG)