About Me

My photo
Texas, United States
I'm a professional student, professor, wife, aunt, sister, sister-in-law and daughter. I'm also mom to the amazing Megan and joyful Rachel.

Our Precious Girls

Our Precious Girls
Photo by Rachel
Powered by Blogger.

Blog Archive

Monday, April 30, 2007

What About You?

If Brian continues with such amazing sermons over the next weeks, I'm going to have make it a tradition to give highlights of the sermons. This week's was so amazing...I've requested a copy. But there was one point that I specifically want to share--besides there were so many excellent points, I wouldn't know where to stop once I started. (Rumor has it...it will appear on the website at some point in the future--see the website below.)

So, taken from John 6, I'll highlight the one point from the chapter I want to mention...although Brian mentioned many. In this chapter, Jesus feeds the 5,000 the first time. Shortly afterwards, Jesus retreats to the mountain to pray. His disciples decide to cross the lake. The trip should have been short--probably an hour--however, NINE HOURS later they are still rowing. As Brian puts it, it's getting kind of "salty". Imagine the physical pain these guys are feeling from rowing against the wind. The water spraying in their face. The frustration (and possibly bad language?) they express to each other--Come on, guys, who's not doing their part? Why aren't we at the other side yet? What in the world? Maybe we should go back? Mark 6:48 says "He (Jesus) saw them straining at the oars, because the wind was against them." Jesus saw them from the mountain as they struggled to get to the other side. Did you see that? JESUS SAW THEM STRUGGLING! After he saw them, he came to them--by walking on the water. Jesus knew they were about ready to quit. He knew they were frustrated. He told them "It is I. Do not be afraid." (John 6:20). After he came into the boat, it was immediately at the shore.

It makes me think...God sees me struggling. He sees me frustrated with how long it is taking to bring Megan home. He knows my sadness that Megan will not be here for Katie's wedding. He knows, if I let it, this wait can make me "salty" too. Why is it taking this long? I don't know. I have the "quip" phrases I say..."Megan's not ready yet" or "God's timing is perfect". All of which I believe are true. But I know, when the rubber hits the road, He sees me, where I am. He will come to me when He knows I'm ready to give up--to turn around--to call it quits. What about you?

So, where are you? Have you just entered the boat and it hasn't gotten "salty" yet? Have you been rowing for hours...trying with all your might to get to the other side? You know, I think there is something else here too...no matter what the disciples did IN THEIR STRENGTH they were not able to overcome the wind and water. It was Jesus who solved their problem. It was Jesus who brought them to shore--when their energy was completely expended and their body ached. When they were at their wits end, it was Jesus who brought them to shore. It was Jesus. It's so simple, but yet so difficult.

No comments:

Words to Live By

James 1:12 - Anyone who meets a testing challenge head-on and manages to stick it out is mighty fortunate. For such persons loyally in love with God, the reward is life and more life. (MSG)