There seems to be a pattern in the passages of scripture that impact me lately. They seem to always focus on trust. The most recent I have been pondering for over a week. I was discussing some things with a person from my home group, she mentioned this passage and it's impact on her, and lately I've read and re-read it. So, here's my stab at it:
Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego...do you ever wonder why we refer to Daniel as his given Israelite name and not the name Nebuchadnezzar gave him, but we refer to these men as the names given by the king? Okay, that's a side note...anyways. So these men refused to bow to the king's idol. I don't know why Daniel wasn't accused as well, as we read later he refused to follow a similar order later on, but he isn't. Only these three men, Daniel's friends, are accused here. And what was their response?
Daniel 3:17-18--"If our God whom we are serving exists, he IS ABLE to rescue us from the furnace of blazing fire, and he WILL rescue us, O king, from your power as well. BUT IF NOT, let it be known to you, O king, that we don’t serve your gods, and we will not pay homage to the golden statue that you have erected." (NIV)
Once it was discovered they refused to bow, the king's men arrested them and began stoking the fire SEVEN times hotter than usual. So hot that the guards putting them in the fire were killed from the heat. Yet, look at their expression of faith! Our God can...and He will...but even if He doesn't save us. What a level of trust. faith. testimony. Even if He doesn't...
Can I say that? Even if my dreams don't come true...even if the end result isn't what I planned or believe I've been promised. I believe He can do it...and I believe He will...but even if He doesn't, I will trust Him, believe in Him and serve Him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Words to Live By
James 1:12 - Anyone who meets a testing challenge head-on and manages to stick it out is mighty fortunate. For such persons loyally in love with God, the reward is life and more life. (MSG)
3 comments:
I've always thought that was one of the most challenging passages from that whole story!
Wow! Those are some powerful words. I've thought about that last part a lot recently. Even if He doesn't...
It is overwhelming, isn't it. Hence my post.
Post a Comment